Golf on Cape Cod
Cape Cod is a golfer’s paradise with almost 50 different courses to choose from. You will have a most enjoyable and memorable time seeing views of tidal rivers and playing around ponds and lakes that were formed years ago by glaciers. While most courses are challenging championship courses, there are also some of the most outstanding par three designs in the country to be found here.
P = public golf course
SP = semi-public golf course
PR = private golf course
1) Ballymeade Country Club Par 72 74.3/139` SP North Falmouth 18 Holes 508-540-4005
Chi Chi Rodriguez recently redesigned the course which provides a memorable round for players of all skill levels. Many holes place a premium on accuracy and course management. The par three 11th hole offers stunning (and perhaps distracting) views of shimmering Buzzards Bay beyond the green.
From the Mid-Cape take Route 28 West to the Mashpee Rotary. Take Route 151 West off the Rotary for 5 miles. Entrance is on the left.
2) Bass River Golf Course Par 72 69.3/122 P South Yarmouth 18 Holes
A Golf Digest ****course designed by Donald Ross in 1914, uses the natural beauty of Bass River as a backdrop. The 9th hole is Bass’ River’s signature hole. The 169 yard par 3 plays over part of the Bass River and the prevailing wind forces the shot to be played out over the water. The green is severely sloped back to front with bunkers right and left.
From Route 6/MidCape take exit 8. Turn right onto Station Avenue and stay on til the end. Turn left onto North Main Street. At the first fork, bear right onto Highbank Road. Course us ¼ mile on the right.
3) Bayberry hills Golf Course Par 72 71.7/125 P West Yarmouth 18 Holes
Designed by Cornish, Silva and Mungeam, this is a magnificent bent grass course with a distinctive but short 15th hole par 5 at 511 yards. For the second shot the player may elect to go for the green via a gap cut in the woods or a longer second shot past a stand of trees resulting in a 100 yard third shot into the wide but shallow green.
From Route 6 take exit 8. At second set of lights turn right onto Townhouse Road. Go to the end and continue straight across intersection to course.
4) Blue Rock Golf Course Par 54 56.4/83 P South Yarmouth 18 Holes
Designed by Geoffrey Cornish, this is recognized as one of the best par 3 courses in the country. While Blue Rock is beginner friendly, all levels of players will find this course a challenge as one can use every club in the bag. There is a fine golf academy here too.
Take Route 6 to exit 8. Turn right off the ramp. At first set of lights take a left onto Whites Path. Go to end and bear right onto Great Western Road. Bear left at the fork. Entrance is .2 miles on the right.
5) The Brookside Club Par 70 71.1/126 P Bourne 18 Holes
While only 6300 yards from the back tees, the distance can be deceiving. Perhaps one of the hardest par fives on Cape Cod is the long tenth hole, at 586 yards. Fortunately the tee shot is downhill, but length and accuracy are rewarded.
At the Bourne Bridge take Route 28 South toward Falmouth. 1.6 miles from the bridge is the entrance to the course on the right.
6) Cape Cod Country Club P Hatchville 18 Holes
From the Mashpee Rotary take Route 151 to Sandwich Road. Turn right, and then left on Ashumet Road.
7) Cape Cod National Golf Club Par 72 73.6/129 PR Brewster 18 Holes
Cape Cod National was patterned after Augusta National in identical yardages for each hole but with a definite Cape Cod flavor. To reach one green, one must fly the second shot over a cranberry bog. Meticulously manicured with bent grass in a stunning natural setting, playing there is a memorable experience.
Route 6 to exit 11. At end of ramp turn right. Take first left onto Pleasant Bay Road (about 100 yards). Go one mile to first stop sign and turn left on Route 39. Club is 1.2 miles on the right.
8) The Captains Golf Course Par 72 71.5/122 and 72.1/131 P Brewster 18 Holes 508-896-5100
1800s Brewster was home to many sea captains and all 36 holes are named after them. Primarily designed by Brian Silva, the philosophy of the firm is “holes with alternate routes of play and hazards that are clearly visible…courses designed in harmony with the surroundings and with respect for the environment…visually interesting and strategically challenging”.
Route 6 to exit 11. At end of ramp turn right onto Route 137. Follow Route 137 for 1.2 miles to Freemans Way. Turn right onto Freemans Way for 1.9 miles. Course is on the right.
9) Chatham Seaside Links P Chatham 9 Holes
Located next to Chatham Bars Inn just off Shore Road, this is a delightful short course that can still be a challenge. There are some spectacular views of Chatham Harbor and the ocean.
10) Chequessett Yacht and Country Club SP Wellfleet 9 Holes
To have a real feeling of old Cape Cod, the golfer must play this links course. While there are only nine holes, there are different tee boxes for the two nines and the holes play completely differently on the second nine. Short but most enjoyable.
Go towards Provincetown on Route 6…Left on Commercial Street to Kendrick Avenue to Chequessett Neck Road.
11) Cotuit Highground Golf Course P Cotuit 9 Holes
159 Crockers Neck Road, Cotuit
12) Cranberry Valley Golf Course Par 72 71.9/129 P Harwich 18 Holes
To experience the ambience of the Cape, you must play Cranberry Valley. Bogs, kettle holes and scrub oaks await you on this well conditioned course. The 18th hole is the favorite of designer Geoffrey Cornish. A 530 yard double dog leg right that requires a long tee shot and a long second shot, it hugs the trees at the corner. Most players would be well advised to play more cautiously with three shots.
Take Route 6 to exit 10. Go toward Harwich.At first flashing light, turn left onto Queen Anne Road. About .2 miles to Oak Street. Course is ½ mile on left.
13) Cummaquid Golf Club Par 71 70.9/128 Yarmouthport PR 18 Holes 508-362-2022
One of the oldest courses on Cape Cod, Cummaquid has undergone some most attractive renovations lately. If the player keeps the ball down the middle there should be no problems, but stray and you will find some water penalties. The greens run very true.
Route 6 to exit 7 (willow Street).Turn right and follow Willow Street to Route 6A. Turn left onto 6A and go ½ mile to entrance to Cummaquid Heights. Go over railroad tracks and turn right to clubhouse.
14) Dennis Highlands Golf Course Par 71 70.4/118 Dennis P 18 Holes
While a bit easier from the ladies’ tees than Dennis Pines, this is a fun course that still provides plenty of challenges.
Route 6 to exit 9B (Route 134). Turn right off the exit and go to the police station and turn left (Access Road). Go to the end and turn right onto Old Bass River Road. Course is two miles up on left.
15) Dennis Pines Golf Course Par 72 71.9/127 East Dennis P 18 Holes
Stretching to 7000 yards from the tips, the course winds around 170 acres of pine forest. “The Pines” as it is called by locals, forces the golfer to be proficient with every club in the bag.
Route 6 to exit 9B (Route 134). Turn right off the exit and stay on Route 134 for 3 miles. Entrance to the club is on the right.
16) Eastward Ho! Country Club Par 72 74.3/139 Chatham PR 18 Holes
Designed by Herbert Fowler in 1922, this course has undergone extensive renovations recently to return it to the links style in the original design. A true links course, it is located on Nickerson Neck, jutting out into Pleasant Bay with spectacular views of the Bay and the ocean on many holes. The wind is certainly a factor here and especially on the front nine presents many challenges. The 18th is noted to be one of the best finishing holes in New England…a long par 4 coming out of a chute in the woods, down a steep hill with a second shot to an elevated green.
Route 6 to exit 11. (Route 137) Take first left (about 100 yards) onto Pleasant Bay Road and follow to the end at Route 28. Turn right and follow the Bay til your first left (Fox Hill Road). Club is ½ mile on the left.
17) Falmouth Country Club Par 72 70/118 East Falmouth P 27 Holes
Take Route 28 west to the Mashpee Rotary. Take 151 west to the third stoplight and turn left on Sandwich Road. One mile up turn left on Carriage Shop. Stay left at the fork. Course is 1 mile up on the right.
18) Paul Harney Golf Course Falmouth P
Route 151 Falmouth
19) Harwich Port Golf Club Harwichport SP 9 Holes
Forest Road, Harwich Port
20) Highland Golf Links Truro P 9 Holes
Playing Highland Links may make you feel as though you are in Scotland!
Highland Road, Truro
21) Holly Ridge Golf Club Par 54 South Sandwich P 18 Holes
Nice par three layout…..excellent instructor
Exit 4 off Route 6. South on Chase Road to the end. Turn right onto Farmersville Road. Take left on Boardley Road and follow signs from there.
22) Hyannis Golf Club Hyannis P 18 Holes
Route 132, Hyannis
23) Hyannisport Club Par 71 70/121 Hyannis PR 18 Holes
Home of the Seagulls Tournament every spring no matter what the weather!. Outstanding course near the water with some of the best greens on the Cape.
Exit 6 off Route 6 and head towards Hyannis. At the second stoplight, bear right onto Bearses Way. Continue through the next light and bear right at the fork near the Kennedy Memorial Skating Rink. Take second right (North Street) and continue to rotary. Take second road off rotary (Scudder) just past the Paddock Restaurant. Stay on Scudder to a four-way stop sign. Go straight through intersection (still Scudder). Turn right on Irving Avenue which leads to the club house.
24) Kings Way Golf Club Yarmouth PR 18 Holes
Great executive course…..advertise “Nine and Dine” specials during the summer
64 Kings Circle, Yarmouth
25) Little Harbor Country Club Wareham P
Little Harbor, Wareham
26) Country Club of New Seabury Mashpee PR 36 Holes
Two championship courses on Nantucket Sound
1 Rock Landing Road, Mashpee
27) Ocean Edge Golf Club Brewster P 18 Holes
Interesting “kettle hole” bunkers. Currently undergoing extensive renovations with the help of Jack Nicklaus.
Route 6A to Brewster. Turn at entrance to Ocean Edge. Also enter from Route 137.
28) Olde Barnstable Fairgrounds Golf Course Marstons Mills P 18 Holes
A very “lady-friendly” course that is still a challenge for the men.
Exit 5 from Route 6 to Route 149. Course on left.
29) Otis Golf Course also called Falcon Golf Course OAFB SP 9 Holes
From Mashpee Rotary follow Route 151, right onto Sandwich Road to gate house.
30) Oyster Harbors Club Par 71 72.1/127 Osterville PR 18 Holes
One of the premier courses on the Cape, a Donald Ross design with length and many bunkers.
Osterville Main Street, turn onto West Bay Road, left on Bridge Street.
31) Pocasset Golf Club Par 72 71.3/127 PR 18 Holes
Exit 1 from Route 6, left on Adams Road, lest on Sandwich Road (Route 3) to Bourne Rotary. Follow Route 28 and turn right on Borrows Landing Road. At traffic light,
32) Quashnet Valley Country Club P 18 Holes
At Mashpee Rotary, follow sign to Route 130, left on Old Barnstable Road. At end, turn left to clubhouse.
33) The Ridge Club Par 71 71.2/135 South Sandwich PR 18 Holes
Another “lady-friendly” course with moguls abounding to play over and around. Definitely a challenge for the men.
Exit 4 off Route 6. Go south on Chase Road to the end. Turn left. About 100 yards on the right is the entrance to the club.
34) Sandwich Hollows Golf Club Par 71 70.4/122 East Sandwich P 18 Holes
And another “lady-friendly” course with some of the highest elevations on Cape Cod.
Exit 3 off Route 6. Go south on Quaker Meeting House Road. Turn left on the Service Road (just past entrance to Route 6). Entrance to club is .25 mile down on the right.
35) Twin Brooks Golf Course Par 54 57.6 Hyannis P 18 Holes
A great par three course
Exit 6 off Route 6 (Route 132) and go toward Hyannis.Second stoplight, bear right onto Bearses Way. Continue through next light and bear right at the fork near the Kennedy Memorial Skating Rink. Take second right (North Street) and continue to rotary. Take second road off rotary – Scudder Avenue (just pst the Paddock Restaurant). The course is behind the Sheraton Hotel.
36) Wianno Golf Club Par 70 69.2/117 Osterville PR 18 Holes
Another fine old course. Great view of the Crosby Boat Yard and the harbor.
From Main Street in Osterville, turn on West Bay Road and then left on Parker Road.
37) Willowbend Club Par 72 74/139 Mashpee PR 18 Holes
Greg Norman stages a benefit here every June that is open to the public - and brings all his friends and quite often John Daly . Challenging course with some shots over cranberry bogs.
From the Bourne Bridge, take Route 28 south to the Route 151 exit Turn right and follow to the Mashpee Rotary. Take third exit off the rotary (Route 28 toward Hyannis). Take first right onto Quinaquisset Avenue. Club is one mile up on the left.
38) Woods Hole Golf Club Par 71 71.1/128 Woods Hole PR 18 Holes
One of the grand dames of the Cape, Woods Hole was founded in 1897 and has the charm of an older course with small greens and rolling topography. Outstanding view of Buzzards Bay from the 17th par 3.
From the Bourne Bridge, take 28 south and follow signs for the Woods Hole Ferry. At first stoplight after going through Falmouth, turn right. Just 100 yards later, turn left onto Quissett. Entrance to the club is 1.1 miles on the right.
39) Woodbriar Golf Club Falmouth P
339 Gilford Avenue, Falmouth
40) Kittansett Club Par 72 74.3/139 Marion PR 18Holes
Although it is a bit of a trek, if you are fortunate enough to be invited to Kittansett…GO! This is a championship course right by the water and the favorite of many professional golfers.
From the Cape, take Route 24 north to Route 195 West to exit 20 (Route 105). Head toward Marion. Turn left onto Route 6 East. One mile up on the right, angle off onto Creek Road. Follow to the end and turn right onto Point Road. Club is at the end of the road (4.5 miles).
41) Marion Golf Course Marion P
42) Atlantic Country Club Plymouth P
43) Crosswinds Golf Club Plymouth P
44) Pinehills Golf Club Plymouth P 36 Holes
Jones Course Par 72 73.9/135 Nicklaus Course Par 72 74.3/135
Go over the Sagamore Bridge and take Route 3 north. Get off at exit 3. Turn right on Beaver Dam Road. Entrance to the club is on the left.
45) Plymouth Country Club Par 69 71.6/129 Plymouth PR 18 Holes
Go over Sagamore Bridge and take Route 3 north. Get off at exit 5 and turn left. Get back on Route 3 heading south and get in left lane to get off on exit 4, which is on the left. Continue to the third right. Turn there and take a quick left which leads right to the club.
46) Southers Marsh Golf Club Plymouth P
47) Squirrel Run Golf and Country Club Plymouth P
48) Waverly Oaks Golf Club Plymouth P
49) White Cliffs Country Club Par 62 59.7/97 Plymouth PR 18 Hole
Sagamore Bridge to Route 3 north. Get off at exit 1. Turn left at end of ramp and then turn right onto Route 3A. Entrance to the club is just up on the left.
50) Miacomet Golf Club Par 72 73/123 Nantucket P 18 Holes
12 West Miacomet Road
51) Nantucket Golf Club Par 72 73.6/134 Nantucket PR 18 Holes
250 Milestone Road, Siaconset
52) Sankaty Head Golf Club Par 72 74.9/136 Nantucket PR 18 Holes
100 Sankaty Road, Siaconset
53) Edgartown Golf Club Par 72 68/121 Marthas Vineyard PR 9 Holes
71 Curtis Lane, Edgartown
54) Farm Neck Golf Club Par 72 73/132 Marthas Vineyard SP 18 Holes
Farm Neck Way, Oak Bluffs
55) Mink Meadows Marthas Vineyard P
56) Vineyard Golf Club Par 72 72.2/136 Marthas Vineyard PR 18 Holes
100 Club House Drive, Edgartown